About Me

My photo
Shippensburg, PA
Hey, everyone! I'm currently a student at Shippensburg University, located in quaint Shippensburg, PA. I'm studying Communications/Journalism and I can't wait to be a writer--or something like that. I hope you like my blog and I'd love for you to "Follow"!

Friday, February 8, 2013

How to Cure a Feminist

When I wake up in the morning, the first thing I do--save for brewing some coffee and showering--is log into Facebook and update the Shippensburg University Women's & Gender Studies account. This morning in particular, it was all well-and-good until I saw this photo on my newsfeed:

"How To Cure A Feminist" in MAXIM (11/2003)

My first thought was, "Oh dear God, please let this be satirical. It has to be a joke." I was--and still am--in disbelief. Placing feminism in this kind of negative light is exactly why society associates a stigma with the ideology. Describing us as "unshaven, militant, protesting vegans" does nothing to quell the stereotypes that surround us. Likewise, the pictured woman's transition from "feminist" to a full-fledged sexual object does nothing to help women as a whole.

Here's the truth: Feminists are people--men and women--who believe in equal rights for all women around the world. They don't want to burn their bras and oppress the male race. They aren't crazy lesbians with hairy armpits who are trying to take down the patriarchal machine one bicep curl at a time. Come on, people.

Feminism is not a disease. Feminism is actually the cure for many of the gender-based injustices that women face in modern society.

Many people think that the world is at a point of post-feminism, meaning that opportunities for men and women are equal and that sexism is no more than an arsenal of bad jokes rather than justification for the oppression of women--and they couldn't be more wrong.

Look at this past election, for example. Women's issues had a huge impact on the ballot box. Similarly, banning abortion and controlling contraceptives are top priorities on many conservative politicians' lists. Domestic violence remains as prevalent in society as ever. Objectification of women in popular culture is the norm. Rape and incest are occurring at record rates around the globe. How can the world possibly be post-feminist?

Again, feminism is not a disease that needs to be cured. The perpetuation of stereotypes surrounding it and the hegemony that reinforces them are the true illness.


No comments:

Post a Comment